If you like providing efficient, effective solutions to complex challenges, join us at Ascent! Be at the heart of helping achieve extraordinary things with software and data for our customers!
Ascent is a design-led software, data and cloud business that specialises in advanced analytics and AI. We are an engineering business. We design, build, and manage cloud-native products, solutions, platforms & experiences on Azure.
Our pan-European community of engineers, architects, data scientists and digital consultants helps customers take on challenges and opportunities, so they can do something new, or do existing things better.
From global insurance, pharma, healthcare and retail to smart home devices, space exploration and cricket - we get to work with some of the sharpest minds in the brightest businesses.
As Automation QA Engineer at Ascent you will be part of cross-functional team, working on development project to help our customer use software and data better. QA Engineers might work on multiple projects at a time, so there is great variety in our roles, and an opportunity to have a real impact. This is perfect opportunity for contractor.
Joining us as a Automation QA Engineer in this team puts you at the heart of this project, working closely with our customers. You will be responsible for testing the application, at a minimum functional testing but ideally automated testing.
More practically, you need to:
- Understand the business requirements behind the application. This will be a rules-driven, line of business application so the behaviour could get a little complicated at times, with many edge cases to consider.
- Understand the (very) high-level application architecture. The application will be built on top of existing and new services and will integrate with our existing product, so understanding the topology and interactions is necessary to fully test.
- Translate business requirements / application design into test packs and test cases, identifying which are appropriate for automated testing (either within the scope of the application, or functionally suitable).
- Design, develop, and maintain test automation frameworks using tools like Selenium, Cucumber, or TestNG, etc with particular emphasis on Selenium.
- Create reusable and scalable automation scripts to validate software functionality.
- Integrate test automation into the continuous integration/continuous deployment (CI/CD) pipeline.
- Validate software across different browsers (Chrome, Firefox, Edge, etc.) and platforms (Windows, macOS, Linux).
- Ensure consistent behaviour and compatibility.
- Use tools like Postman or RestAssured to validate API endpoints.
- Verify data integrity, response codes, and payload.
- Document test cases, test results, and defects.
- Provide clear and concise reports to stakeholders.
- Log and review bugs.
Required skills and experience
- Proficient with automated testing products and approaches (Selenium/.NET) is must;
- Exposure to Agile (scrum) and DevOps.
- Experience testing line-of-business systems, ideally in fintech.
- Experience using Azure DevOps (source control, test cases, integration with pipelines).
- Strong knowledge of automated testing (UI and backend).
- Highly organised with strong analytical ability, attention to detail and good communication skills; able to interact with senior management.
- Excellent knowledge of testing approaches and best practices (defining test cases, packs, coverage and so on).
- Proficient with SQL and API’s (can inspect data underpinning the application; understands API auth and products like Postman).
Working at Ascent
At Ascent we promote a healthy work-life balance by offering flexibility in where you work. We also promote well-being and provide access to Well Being Coaches.
Your development and learning will be taken seriously, and we’ll support your professional development with training and certification, with regular feedback and review. It is a fun, supportive and modern workplace where we really live by our company values of Empathy, Energy and Audacity! Ascent also offers a variety of benefits in each of our countries.
Ascent is an equal opportunities employer. We take intentional steps to ensure inclusion and belonging are something real here, not just something we talk about. No person will be treated less favourably because of their gender, pregnancy, and maternity status, marital or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, or disability status. If you require any reasonable accommodation, please let us know when you apply.
Ascent works with over 150 businesses in the UK, Europe and North America. From global insurance, healthcare and retail to smart home devices, space exploration and cricket - we get to work with some of the sharpest minds in the brightest businesses.
Taking CX to the next level with AI for 200,000 members.
INSTITUTE OF CHARTERED ACCOUNTANTS
Empowering the actuarial community to solve problems with R.
Reducing time-to-market for automotive innovation.
Evolving a global infrastructure team into a proven Centre of Excellence for cloud.
Improving health and well-being through data transformation.
Enabling data science teams to drive class-leading consumer engagement.
Bringing the technical vision to life for progressive professional services.
Orchestrating jobs and parts distribution across 6000+ UK sites.
Optimising performance & support with 360° insight into the elite Women’s game.
ENGLAND & WALES CRICKET BOARD
Promoting collaborative experimentation in sustainable food production.
Creating compelling omnichannel experiences from bar to browser.
Democratising data to engage new communities & protect the UK seabed.
THE CROWN ESTATE
Delivering the horizontal scale to expand into new medical research fields.
Improving experience and making life simpler for home automation customers.
Unlocking the power of data and analytics to accelerate growth.
Bringing on-demand to the UK’s favourite TV listing and review platform.
Reducing cost, accelerating innovation and attracting new talent in healthcare.
Career progression Section
Why join Ascent?
We’re fast becoming a leading European digital transformation business.
Joining Ascent means you’ll be involved in delivering exciting technology projects for leading global brands. You’ll be part of a growing team of super-talented people who are actively choosing to join us on our journey rather than working in big corporates.
Your voice matters at Ascent. We are always keen to hear your opinions and those ideas that come to you at 3am (some of them are definitely as good as they seemed at the time). You’ll develop your talent through our internal Academy, providing a wide range of personal development, up-skilling and cross-skilling opportunities.
Job Post - Contact Us
Need to know more?
We’re here to answer any questions you have about this role or any others featured on the site.
If you can’t see one that’s the perfect fit for you, drop us a note and let us know what we’re missing.
Get In Touch