Not every developer can say that their code helps automotive engineers improve their production process and make cars of the future safer and more efficient. At Ascent, you’ll be helping to make this a reality!
About the role
We currently have multiple roles with slightly different requirements as detailed below.
We are looking for experienced Senior Software Engineers to join our team. We have several long-term projects with our customer, namely Bosch, a leader in the automotive technology sector. Our relationship with Bosch dates back to 2011 when we started with just 2 C++ developers. Thanks to the quality and values of our teams, today Bosch entrusts us with 4 teams and over 20 engineers engaged on very interesting projects. The bond today is much more of a strong partnership than a supplier-to-customer relationship.
The tools we work on are used by professional engineers to simulate, measure, and calibrate Electronic Control Units (ECUs) for the cars of today and tomorrow.
This role will give you experience and exposure to a variety of automotive topics, technologies, and networking protocols. Our team practices well-established delivery methodologies and processes. Our long collaboration with Bosch has led to impressive results and great innovations.
What you'll do
Joining us as a Senior Software Engineer in this team puts you at the heart of this project, working closely with our customer. You will be responsible for designing and implementing solutions to customer requirements, using the latest available standards and compilers.
Being dedicated to quality results requires an understanding and capability of creating solutions that are inherently testable and provable. This is why we need experienced developers, able to ensure these critical requirements are handled well and who are able to design, write, and test software to meet complex requirements
You will also work with our analysts to help clarify imprecise specifications and develop an excellent understanding of the domain.
- Responsibility for aspects of the software architecture.
- Support the team in carrying out effective effort estimations for development work.
- You understand the value of professional software engineering and work to the highest standards of quality while remaining focused on meeting requirements.
- Create high Quality, secure and robust solutions.
- Adhering to strictly defined processes and Quality goals.
Required skills and experience
- Strong expertise in C++ including C++11/14
- Teamwork and knowledge sharing
- The ability to mentor less experienced team members
- A good understanding of software development processes
- Familiarity with the development environments and tools of Windows
- Strong understanding of Test Approaches
- Comfortable with modern Defect Tracking and Source Management tools e.g. Jira, Bitbucket, Git.
- Ability to write and understand complex software requirements and to verify requirements are satisfied.
- Strong analytical skills
- Exposure to modern agile testing techniques with CI/CD
- Familiarity with Visual Studio
- Familiarity with Unit Testing
Some nice to have
- Experience with git, bash, VMs and basic Linux usage.
- Experience of Quality tools e.g. static analysis and code coverage tools.
- Experience Working incrementally and iteratively – e.g. using Scrum.
- Experience using development automation systems e.g. Jenkins.
As mentioned in the opening paragraph, we have multiple open roles for this position, and some roles require some additional experience.
For one of the roles, we are looking for candidates who also have familiarity of test frameworks such as Boost unit test framework or gtest. This role requires candidates to configure special hardware provided to us by the customer, so you may occasionally need to visit the office. Therefore for this role, it would be best if you live in the vicinity of our offices in Sofia, Bulgaria or in Malta.
For the other roles, a remote setting is also perfectly fine. You will deliver new functionality in our model-based code generator for automotive middleware. We develop supporting tools to processes XML and generate embedded C code.
Specific experiences these other roles:
- Previous experience working with, and generating, complex configuration files (using for example xml).
- Previous experience with code generation/compiler development.
- Familiar with model driven development of complex software solutions.
- Previous exposure to Embedded or control software.
- Previous exposure to MISRA compliant solutions.
- Unit Tests, Black box vs Whitebox.
- Some nice to have
- Experience of Automotive software development (AUTOSAR) or similar
- Experience of Python.
- Experience of programming in C
Working at Ascent
We work mostly from home, but we love to meet and mingle. Essentially you choose the pattern that works best for you. If you prefer to work from home, that's fine. If you prefer to work from an office, or a combination, that is fine as well.
Ascent is an equal opportunities employer. We take intentional steps to ensure inclusion and belonging. These are tangible aspects, not just something we talk about. No person will be treated less favourably because of their gender, pregnancy and maternity status, marital or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, or disability status. If you require any reasonable accommodation to participate in our application process, please let us know.
Career progression Section
Why join Ascent?
We’re fast becoming a leading European digital transformation business.
Joining Ascent means you’ll be involved in delivering exciting technology projects for leading global brands. You’ll be part of a growing team of super-talented people who are actively choosing to join us on our journey rather than working in big corporates.
Your voice matters at Ascent. We are always keen to hear your opinions and those ideas that come to you at 3am (some of them are definitely as good as they seemed at the time). You’ll develop your talent through our internal Academy, providing a wide range of personal development, up-skilling and cross-skilling opportunities.
Job Post - Contact Us
Need to know more?
We’re here to answer any questions you have about this role or any others featured on the site.
If you can’t see one that’s the perfect fit for you, drop us a note and let us know what we’re missing.
Get In Touch