Join Ascent and help us do extraordinary things with data for our customers!
About the role
Ascent is looking for a highly motivated Lead Data Engineer to strengthen and scale our Data Engineering function. You get to work at the heart of our customer businesses to understand their data, identify needs and develop a wide range of solutions. You’ll join our practice of market-leading data professionals and work typically as part of a cross-functional team on customer projects, supporting their journey through digital transformation and supporting them leverage value from their data.
What you’ll do
As a Lead Data Engineer, you’ll work closely with our customers to provide scalable and maintainable data solutions for reporting, data science and automation use cases in a variety of industries. This role combines consulting, technical and leadership skills in customer-facing settings and is important for the further development of our established function.
The ability to produce efficient architectures, data models and processing pipelines to automate the ingestion, integration and serving of data for analytics while ensuring the quality of the solution is an essential aspect of the role.
Depending on the project allocation, our roadmap and your motivations, your daily responsibilities could be varied. Typically, our Lead Data Engineers:
- Participate in discoveries and solution assessments to understand the requirements of our customers in-depth and suggest data-centric solutions to support their strategy.
- Estimate the delivery and operating costs of the solutions.
- Lead the development of data platforms and data engineering pipelines by establishing patterns and supporting the delivery team to ensure quality of the solution.
- Contribute to multiple projects in their area of expertise.
- Support pre-sales and marketing activities as a subject matter expert.
- Contribute to internal initiatives to improve the established practices or introduce new ones.
- Contribute to the team growth by interviewing candidates and sharing knowledge with the wider data engineering community in Ascent.
Skills and experience required
We’re looking for people with good data engineering skills, and you’ll ideally bring with you:
- Extensive experience with architecture and design of complex applications across various data domains and platforms with optimisation of performance and cost in mind.
- Strong experience in data modelling including multiple techniques for performant analytics workloads.
- Good understanding of Agile and DevOps principles, and strong experience with toolsets such as Azure DevOps and GitHub.
- In-depth understanding of Azure PaaS data engineering stack, such as SQLDB, Synapse, Data Factory, Data Lake Storage, CosmosDB, Azure ML. Databricks and Snowflake with be considered highly advantageous.
- Proficient in distributed computing principles and implementations such as Spark and MPP.
- Solid understanding of data security principles, data governance, master data management, data quality and data cataloging solutions.
- Strong experience with scripting languages, including SQL and Python. Other languages such as C# and R are considered beneficial.
- Experience with Infrastructure as Code and configuration languages, including Terraform, PowerShell, Azure CLI and YAML are considered a plus.
- Experience with near real-time analytics solutions, API and data visualisation development will be considered a plus.
We work in Agile methodologies as a preference, so being comfortable working in this way is important. You should be comfortable in a customer-facing situation where you’ll need to communicate clearly and effectively in English – often with people who might not be as technically experienced, so good written and verbal English skills are essential. You should be passionate about team collaboration and knowledge sharing, with the passion and drive to achieve goals and targets. We value empathy in our colleagues, and it’s important you bring a growth mindset and a willingness to learn and adapt.
Working at Ascent
We choose hybrid working, where you balance time at the office or with your customers with working at home. On some occasions, you will be expected to participate in client workshops onsite. You'll earn a competitive salary, with a good range of benefits. Our offices are places to connect and collaborate with colleagues, with socials and regular get-togethers. We take your development and growth seriously, with plenty of opportunities to acquire skills and get certified.
Ascent is an equal opportunities employer. We take intentional steps to ensure inclusion and belonging are something real here, not just something we talk about. No person will be treated less favourably because of their gender, pregnancy, maternity status, marital or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, or disability status. Please let us know when you apply if you require any reasonable accommodation.
Career progression Section
Why join Ascent?
We’re fast becoming a leading European digital transformation business.
Joining Ascent means you’ll be involved in delivering exciting technology projects for leading global brands. You’ll be part of a growing team of super-talented people who are actively choosing to join us on our journey rather than working in big corporates.
Your voice matters at Ascent. We are always keen to hear your opinions and those ideas that come to you at 3am (some of them are definitely as good as they seemed at the time). You’ll develop your talent through our internal Academy, providing a wide range of personal development, up-skilling and cross-skilling opportunities.
Job Post - Contact Us
Need to know more?
We’re here to answer any questions you have about this role or any others featured on the site.
If you can’t see one that’s the perfect fit for you, drop us a note and let us know what we’re missing.
Get In Touch